Monday, April 4, 2011

The Compound Effect

My friend and colleague Karin Conway gave me a book ("The Compound Effect" by Darren Hardy) about 2 weeks ago and I have been dragging it around in my bag. Yesterday I unpacked all of my materials from the bag as it was time to. Well I picked up the book Karin gave me. She said that The Compound Effect is similar to Kaizen Philosophy  and my curiosity got the best of me. I opened the book to the chapter called "Choices" and the first thing I see is the formula for getting LUCKY:

Preparation (Personal Growth) +
Attitude (Belief/Mindset) +
Opportunity (A good thing coming your way +
Action (Doing something about it) =
Luck 

I did finish reading the chapter on Choices and moved to the next chapter on Habits. I had to check out the sample form he has for "Habit Assessment" pretty spot on! If you are looking to get yourself back into alignment/focused and need a boost I really recommend you get a copy of this book. Refreshers are always good!

 The Compound Effect really focuses on small incremental changes on your personal development journey which is in alignment with the Kaizen approach at a personal level. It is really a very simple read and he has included worksheets at the end of the book or you can go to his website and print out the worksheets. Website Also on his site is a link "Download a free Chapter" this gives you access to his book and some of the content within the chapters.

Darren has a statement in the Habits chapter given by Brian Tracy and I have included it for your view.

"Top people have clear goals. 
They know who they are and they know what they want. 
They write it down and they make plans for its accomplishments.

Unsuccessful people carry their goals around in their head like marbles rattling around in a can, and we say a goal that is not in writing is merely a fantasy. And everybody has fantasies, but those fantasies are like bullets with no powder in the cartridge.

People go through life shooting blanks without written goals - and that's the starting point."

 

No comments: